Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What's Your Next Adventure?

The other day, I called to to talk with my kids, when on the other end of the phone I here screaming and excitement! I hear, "Samiah Caught a Fish! Samiah Caught a Fish!" Zadyn, my nine year old son, had been helping Samiah, my four year old daughter, how to fish off of the peer at the lake. It takes a little bit for him to get it put away so that they could come chat with me, but as soon as the fish gets put in a bucket of water, Zadyn take's no time to tell me "Samiah Caught a Fish and it's the biggest [of it's kind (I don't know fish very well)] that I have ever seen!" Zadyn was so excited! He had not only taught his little sister to fish, but she caught a big one, not just some we little one, this one competes with what he catches! Zadyn is nearly a professional fisherman, he's just too young to get paid for it. He catches a ton of fish, frogs, tadpoles, crawdads and many other aquatic creatures. He is always concocting a new adventure and this day, this adventure was to teach his little sister to fish! What an exciting time that was and I was only on the other end of the phone!

My 12 year old daughter Awan has always been a climber. She was climbing into her stroller on her own when she was one, climbed to the top of her closet when she was two and continued climbing on everything else even to this day. At the park there was this tree that, when she was younger, she wanted to climb. Now my rule for my kids in climbing things is that I will not lift you into or onto it, but if you can climb into or onto it, I will be close for the catch but I will let you continue to climb. I feel that if any one of them needs my help to get into or onto it, then he or she is not physically strong enough to be in or on it. Well this tree at the park was just that for a little while for Awan. She was not developed enough to lift herself past the trunk in order to get into the branches so she was not allowed into it by any help. She grew older, taller and stronger and eventually could climb in that tree. The day that she could get into that tree was an exhilarating day! She was so excited and I was ecstatic for her! What a great new adventure for her!

We visited that same park a couple of weeks ago. Awan comes up to me and waves me to come see something. She takes me over to that same tree and steps into it with ease. She says to me "This tree is so small! I am bigger than it!" Now she wasn't literally bigger than the tree, but it was so easy for her to climb in, she basically owned that tree. That tree was no longer an adventure for her. It was a nice trip down memory lane, but no longer the adventure that it once was. She jumped out of the tree and was on to her next adventure ... how to ride a Ripstick! (Lessons on the Ripstick graciously given by her father who once broke his arm riding one! LOL)

You know, there are so many times that we fall into new adventures! Some we like and enjoy, others start out with us not liking it but then we take on the challenge and push forward learning how to get through it, we end up enjoying it. We end up stronger, wiser and better because of it! Whether we like them or not, these are the adventures of our lives and we certainly wouldn't be the person that we are today with out them. What if we started looking for our new adventures? What if we looked at the old adventure, realize that we are bigger than it and move on toward the next one, actively seeking for it instead of accidentally falling into it? What could our world look like then? You could find someone new to teach something to! (Maybe they do it even better than you!) You could find a challenge that you are unsure about, but could make life better for you and those around you and actually try it! The greatest ideas have come from people who have stepped away from the old adventure, knowing that it is now over and moved toward something new! You can do just that. You can change your world, make things better and improve the lives of those around you. You are capable, able and tough enough to try!

You are going to do amazing things!

GO FIND YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE!






No comments:

Post a Comment