Thursday, May 14, 2015

Dance with me

My two youngest kids are my son, Tad, who is nine and Samiah, who is almost four. Right now they have the most conflict between them. They have the most fun as well. They pick on each other and sometimes that produces laughter and other times screaming and fits of rage! Yesterday they were on that track yet again. They would even go from laughing to anger then back to giggling with in as short as five minutes. When we arrived at the playground, Tad stepped right up on the edging that contained the playground mulch. They were about six inches wide and raised from the ground about six or eight inches. It made for a great balance beam that Tad followed around the playground. Samiah had seen him do this, so she decided to follow him as well. She was much slower at it than her five years older brother. Tad knew this and went around the playground passing Samiah and as he passed said something like "I'm going to beat you" or "I am going to win!" Samiah, feeling helpless to be able to prove him wrong let out a huge scream, fell down off the edging and began to cry and scream a bit more. I walked over to her to ask what was wrong because all I could see was Tad pass her without touching her. (Yes I was looking for him to do something to her) She sat there crying and she said "I want to win!" What? What did Tad do? "I want to Win!" she said! After consoling her a bit, I got the two of them together and made them apologize to each other. Shortly there after they were laughing and playing once again.

Relationships are hard! I don't have very many people that I am at odds with right now. I am certainly not perfect at relationships ... I have been divorced by the way. I also have a few relationships that are a little odd or off kilter. Not necessarily bad, but maybe slightly broken. The thing that I am most guilty of, is letting relationships fade away.

My best friend ... well I guess that we used to be anyway. We have never made the statement that we are no longer best friends but we haven't talked but once or twice in two and a half years! I am not blaming him, we are both very similar and that is why we connected so well. When we have something that we are focused on it is easy for us to lose sight of the relationships that are fading away around us. It's not intentional, it's just that I look back and six months may have flown by since we last talked. Just keeping up with relationships is hard!

We have a friend, Tiffany, who has a daughter, Tenleigh who was the flower girl at my wedding last June! She is an adorable little 4 year old with an attitude! She looks cute but will put you in your place quickly. We were a little worried that she wouldn't make it down the isle so I did all that I could that weekend to help her connect with me hoping to make her trip towards us a little less scary. Well, we really connected and when the music played during the reception, I grabbed her, took her to the dance floor and began to dance with her. We danced until I couldn't anymore. After a couple of minutes off of the dance floor, Tenleigh would come up to me and say "Dance with me!" When I had the energy to do so, I would. She probably asked me that twenty or thirty times and I just couldn't resist. Tiffany text my wife a week later because Tenleigh had asked her if we could get married again the next weekend so that she could dance with me again!

My wife and I like to dance. We have danced in clubs and have just slow danced in our living room. You see she has been in "dance" for a long time and she is really good. I, on the other hand, have nervous fits similar to seizures yet feel like I am as awesome as Usher! You better believe that when "Sexy and I know it" comes on by LMFAO my confidence goes through the roof and the dancing get all that much worse and more flamboyant! When my wife and I dance together, it mandates give and take, a bit of coordination and movements that compliment each other in order for it to even work.

Relationships are like little dances. Give and take, coordinated movements and watching your steps are all important to the whole choreography. I have been in relationships where toes have been stepped on, trust has been lost and a toss has been dropped. People have been hurt, the dance has seemed to have been ruined and you even want to give up and just stop the music. The thing is, in all the competitions that I have watched, when a mistake happens ... the music plays on! Dancers pick themselves up, dust themselves off and try it again. When dancers move together allowing each to play their role and even adjusting when things seem to change it is beautiful! When we interact with each other as though it's a dance and look toward what it could be if we work together, how beautiful our relationships could be.

Love each other, live life to it's fullest and don't forget to DANCE!

Will you dance with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment